On 18th September 1997, the University of Computer Studies, Mandalay was established under the Ministry of Science and Technology to conduct teaching and research in various branches of computer science and technology. The Universities of Computer Studies, Yangon (UCSY) and the University of Computer Studies, Mandalay (UCSM) are the two of the higher institutions under the Ministry of Science and Technology.
To help meet the growing need for and advanced computer education in Myanmar, UCSM offers both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees as well as diploma programs in computer studies. On 27th January 2009, the Ph.D. program was started. UCSM is promoted as University of Computer Studies, Mandalay (Centre of Excellence) in 2012-2013 Academic Year. Its teaching materials and textbooks are in English.
Our Missions are to produce experts who have the practical ability to invent, install, experiment with, and apply computer hardware and software with a view to making Myanmar a modern and developed nation and to train Information Technology (IT) professionals for Myanmar.
The main purposes of the university are:
- To train Information Technology (IT) professionals, leaders and entrepreneurs for Myanmar and to advance research and development in both the academic and professional disciplines.
- To help meet the growing need for general and advanced computer education in Myanmar.
- To offer both undergraduate and post graduate degrees as well as diploma programs in computer studies.
- To conduct research contributing to the welfare to the nation and to carry out research and development activities on IT utilizing the high caliber experts.
- To foster the outstanding products of the University to become high caliber experts.